Getting dental implants for cosmetic or functional reasons is becoming more common than you thought. Here are some statistics released by the American Academy of Implan
t Dentistry that you might find interesting. At least 3 million people in the U.S. alone have dental implants with close to 500,000 more people opting for the treatment each year. While many dentists in Canada are now offering the procedure to patients, you may want to understand how to choose the right dentist who can use the necessary precision and perfect technique to do it right.
Choose the Right Dentist Who has the Necessary Skills
Like the National Center for Biotechnology Information advises, by working with an experienced, well-qualified oral surgeon, you can expect a 97% success rate with the implant remaining in place for at least 10 years. And, for that to happen, you need to find an expert dental surgeon that has the necessary skills like:
- Diagnosing the need for the implant
- Placing the implant with precision
- Coordinating the follow-up sessions for checkups
- Working on the restorations to ensure that implant and cap is placed in the right way for aesthetic appeal and alignment with the soft tissues of the mouth
- Training in using the proper prosthetic tools so that the implant resembles and functions like the original tooth closely
Ask the Right Questions
When trying to understand how to choose the right dentist, you may want to check with friends and family members for a doctor they’ve worked with before. Next, prepare a list of questions to ask the practitioner. On arriving at the best dental office in Calgary, you will have the opportunity to spend time with the doctor and look for all the detailed information you need. You can also ask about the dental school where the doctor has trained along with other questions like, for instance:
- How long have you been treating patients with dental implants?
- Do you have any before and after pictures of past patients I can see?
- Will you be performing the entire procedure on your own? Or, will you have a team of surgeons on board?
- Who will be coordinating the treatment?
- Can you put me in touch with past patients you’ve treated?
- How long will the entire procedure take?
- How many checkup sessions will I have to come for?
- How long will the implant last?
When working out how to choose the right dentist, a good rule of the thumb is to look for a surgeon you’re comfortable with. Like this feature on Quora explains, if the professional is open to answering your questions and explaining how the whole process is done, you’ll know you’ve come to the right person.
How the Initial Consultation Progresses
During the first exploratory consultation, the surgeon will conduct a detailed examination of the oral cavity. Here are the other steps she will take:
- Checking your medical and dental care history.
- Taking x-rays and other scans of the mouth for a clear view of your oral bone structure.
- Take plaster casts of your mouth among the diagnostic tests
- Explaining the aftercare you must take and the schedule for the checkups.
- If you have other issues like gingivitis, gummy smile, or misaligned teeth, your dentist might choose to fix them before she moves on to inserting the implants.
In case you have any work commitments or travel plans, you may want to discuss them with the surgeon. This is also a good time to discuss the expected budget. Based on the results of the scans and other tests, you’ll receive an estimate of the cost. The doctor will provide you with an itemized list of the costs in writing. If you’re wondering how to choose the right dentist, these procedures will give you a fair view if the surgeon is best for you.
Check with Your Doctor About the Possible Risks
Getting implants is not without risks. And, an expert surgeon will assess you carefully as a good candidate. You’ll also learn about the any possible hazards you should be aware of and how the doctor will make sure to minimize the probability. Check this article released by the Mayo Clinic that warns of possible complications, and the importance of ticking all the boxes on how to choose the right dentist. Some of the risks you may need to prepare for are:
- Damage or trauma to the tissues around the treatment site such as the blood vessels and other teeth along with bleeding
- Injury to the nerves that may result in tingling, discomfort, pain, and/or numbness to the chin, lips, gums, and natural teeth
- Infection in the treatment site
- Issues where the implants inserted in the upper jaw reach into the sinus cavities
- Instances where the implants are not stable in the bone
Learn About the Post-Op Precautions to Take
If you’re concerned about how to choose the right dentist, know that a good dental surgeon will inform you of what to expect after the procedure. She will also talk to you about the precautions you can take to ensure that you get the best results you’re looking for. Some instructions include:
- Avoiding excessive smoking and alcohol consumption
- Keeping your blood sugar levels in check in case you’re diabetic
- Maintaining proper dental hygiene with regular brushing and flossing
- Taking the necessary supplements in case of osteoporosis
- Avoiding radiation exposure to the head and neck
- Taking the prescribed antibiotics before and after the implants to prevent chances of infections
Dental implants can add to your appearance and confidence. But, it is highly essential that you work with an experienced and certified surgeon to get the results you’re looking for. Use these tips on how to find the right dentist, and you should have perfect oral health in no time.